Thursday 12 November 2009

Vienna and Gustav Klimt

I spent the last weekend in Vienna with my girlfriends. The trip was a wondorous combination of walking tours in the old city, trips to quaint cafes, a traditional Viennese meal, Beethoven and Strauss, grand palaces and a few hours experiencing ' the kiss' in its full splendour amongst others by gustav klimt at the Belvedere.

My friend Fatima introduced us to Klimt and I returned with a fine reproduction which will find its new home just above the toilet :) as soon as I have had it framed. It fits well there and this way I will be able to see it every morning when I brush my teeth.

'The Kiss is a fascinating icon of the loss of self that lovers experience. Only the faces and hands of this couple are visible; all the rest is great swirl of gold, studded with colored rectangles as if to express visually the emotional and physical explosion of erotic love.'

I appreciate and agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment